This blog is about my road-camping trip with my German shepherd dogs, Leben and Erde, from 19 Sept to 13 Oct 2012, which took us 3700 miles from DC to NY (and Beech Mountain), and then onto seven different provincial and national parks circling the Great Lakes. Just before Thunder Bay, Ontario, Leben became paralyzed, so we returned by way of Minnesota and then east to DC.

The main tent, posting 1 of 3

The tent...1 of 3

The curious among my readers are probably wondering what my tent is like.  Let me try to explain as i sit in my tent with a light rain falling outside.

My main tent (actually, i take 3 tents with me: my main tent, my backpacking tent, and an emergency tent) is approximately 8' x 8' and 7 feet tall in the center, with vestbules at both the front and back entrances, or exits as the case may be.

As the below dark-tent-quality diagram shows, more than 60 percent of the tent is taken up by the bedroom, i.e., the new mattress.  My allocation of the mattress is marked EMZ (Ed's mattress zone) and the dogs' DMZ, which i enter at my own risk.  As i continue to lose weight on this trip, i will be allocated less space; as the dogs gain weight (treats) they will require more.

Adjacent to the grand foyer (2'x3') after you cross the Welcome mat in the vestibule,are two other large rooms, both 3'x3'.  One one side is my den, a picture of which will follow this posting, as will a picture of the dogs' den on the other side.  Which side of the tent my den is on depends upon where the campfire is so i can watch the fire or the view or both from my den, just like at home.    The dogs are usually sleeping in the tent so they could not care less where there den is.

Two more photos to follow.



Ed Mulrenin
202-747-4704 (mobile)

1 comment:

  1. I think that it's nice that the dogs let you sleep in the tent with them. They are indeed benevolent overlords.

    ReplyDelete