This blog is about my road-camping trip with my German shepherd dogs, Leben and Erde, from 19 Sept to 13 Oct 2012, which took us 3700 miles from DC to NY (and Beech Mountain), and then onto seven different provincial and national parks circling the Great Lakes. Just before Thunder Bay, Ontario, Leben became paralyzed, so we returned by way of Minnesota and then east to DC.

The main tent, photo 2 of 3, Ed's den

This is my tent den, or study.

On the right is my reclining armchair, in which i am sitting right now as i pen these words.  (it only reclines when it tips over backwards when my tent is pitched on a slope.) On the seat is my headlight (for me, not the Defender), for which i now have a backup thanks to my friend Karen, and my faux leather journal.
 
On the left is my black antique endtable(antique because it is 12 years old) with the red tape idetifying it.  (i use red tape for my boxes and yellow tape for the dogs' to explain what's in the boxes at the border crossing to the agents.)  The box  isn't a fulltime endtable as it is actually my "stuff box" which holds all the stuff that does not go elsewhere.  everything on the trip has to serve at least two purposes.

On the endtable can usually be found, as in the photo, maps, a mostly-unread book, my Beet Headphones, my iPad (that's Montag's pix on the screen),  a pewter wine glass (i had two but i accidentally left one at the site in Alaska where i scattered Sonntag's and Kessie's ashes, the same site of the NG photo of Sonntag and me in the snowstorm), a 187ml bottle of wine (in this case, California Whitw Zinfandel 2010), my pipe, and my bear spray to deal with unwelcome nocturnal visitors, e.g., bears, racoons, unscrouplous DC  llawyers, etc.  Missing from the photo is the pair of gloves i wear when i read to turn the pages when it's cold.  Cozy, huh?



Ed Mulrenin
202-747-4704 (mobile)

No comments:

Post a Comment