This blog is about my road-camping trip with my German shepherd dogs, Leben and Erde, from 19 Sept to 13 Oct 2012, which took us 3700 miles from DC to NY (and Beech Mountain), and then onto seven different provincial and national parks circling the Great Lakes. Just before Thunder Bay, Ontario, Leben became paralyzed, so we returned by way of Minnesota and then east to DC.

Day 24, 10/10, wednesdy, KOA in Hixton, Wisconsin

We got a later start than i wanted to this morning, 9am, perhaps because it was cold (30, degrees and snowing lightly). When i got to the intersection hughway 17 and route 527, on which the KOA is located at the south end, the irony of that fact gave me pause. It was at the north end of 527, at lake bukemiga near armstrong station were the apex of our trip last year occurred. This year, at the south end, the low point of all my trips with my dogs was reached.

I put leben in one of the bunks last night because it was clear he wanted to be there. During the night he tried to shift around and fell out. His is now relegated to a comfortable bed on the floor. These interruptions, which i welcome so that i can help him, are taking away from my sleep, which i need for all the driving i have to do. Today, we did 420 miles, and with two dog walks, made it to this pleasant KOA at exactly 6:00 pm (EST). The photon was taken after we arrived. The routine i am using at these KOAs is the same, which i can do because they are all predictably similar, the reason i stay at them. After unloading the Defender and making the dogs dinner, i set up Leben's CATV and take him for a spin around the camp. He seems to thoroughly enjoy it. Erde loves it too because i let her stop and sniff very time she wants to. I want to make this a pleasant time for her. Yesterday, at thunder bay, when i stopped for her to investigate one particular smell, she pulled me away so i momentarily let gonof Leben's CATV. Much to me horror, it started rolling down a hill and ended up in a two foot ditch. Fortunately, it did not tip over and Leben seemed not to care.

Needless to say, i have zero interest in the sights around me any more on this trip for understandable reasons. The only thoughts that run through my head relate to Leben's situation and how I will deal with it, which i will. I lost so much of the personality of that magnificent dog because of a totally unsuccessful  operation, for which, looking back, Leben was not a good candidate. But i have only myself to blame. But anger and blame are now in my vocabulary now, although grieving is, the grieving I am doing for Leben, whose legs meant so much to his way of life. But i have what i have and i will make the best of it.  I do know this, he will not be the same dog, but a better dog,

Tomorrow we shoot for another KOA near southbend indiana, 372 miles away. Another long day.

Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment