This blog is about my road-camping trip with my German shepherd dogs, Leben and Erde, from 19 Sept to 13 Oct 2012, which took us 3700 miles from DC to NY (and Beech Mountain), and then onto seven different provincial and national parks circling the Great Lakes. Just before Thunder Bay, Ontario, Leben became paralyzed, so we returned by way of Minnesota and then east to DC.

October 22nd

Leben's vet responded to my e-mails on Friday and I brought Leben in for a recheck today. He confirmed that Leben's neurological signs are worse than when he saw him at the last (4-week) recheck.  Xrays showed that it wasn't some kind of a fracture, nor was it an infection, both of which could have contributed to this turn of events.  This means that the underlying problem is neurological. The two options at this point are, first,   try a course of steroids (prednizone) to see if that reduces any inflammation that may be causing the problem.  The problems with this are the terrible side effects, the chance that it will do nothing, and the chances that Leben's situation will continue to decline, and then we are back to square one.  The second option is  another MRI to see what might have shifted since the July 11th MRI.  But the MRI would only be informational since there is no way I am going to subject this magnificent dog to any more surgery, which would could very well be unsuccessful, too.  We explored several scenarios as to why this happened and wy Leben's recovery from the trauma of the surgery was slow (not that it makes any difference) and came up with nothing conclusive. I raised the issue of a wheelchair (canine cart) for Leben and the vet said that would help with his mobility (outside).  In other words, the vet has no idea what the best course of action to take. So I am on my own. I will, of course, keep at the intensive (thrice-weekly)  swim therapy and maybe  acupuncture with the hope that Leben's situation improves and then putting him in his wheelchair when it arrives next week.  Perhaps I will try the steroids too after that time, but to gain what? Knowing that Sonntag led a very full and active life for 3+ years in a wheelchair, my guess is that I will put Leben  in the  wheelchair when it arrives to see how he takes to it.  Since Leben's life at home consisted of waiting by the door for me to return and  following me around from room to room, managing him at home will be easy, i.e., I will just move him to wherever I will be.  If he does not take to his wheelchair well, I will continue doing what I am doing now with the harness and strollers.  This dog is not going to be put down because he cannot walk and it is tough to manage a large paralyzed dog, which is the reason you see virtually no large dogs in wheelchairs, except for the initial photos after their wheelchairs arrive..

Incidentally, Leben developed an ear infection sometime over the last week or so. I discovered it myself because I did not realize that Leben could not use his back legs anymore to scratch himself.  (On the trip, I thought his not scratching  was a sign that his skin infection was disappearing, but it was a sign of his neurological decline. In fact, it was the first sign, and I missed it.) In treating him for the infection, his regular vet examined him for his neurological signs and said, "I think Leben is going to have to use a wheelchair for the rest of his life."  I appreciated her candor.

My main goal over the next several weeks will be to learn how to manage the new situation, not only Leben's new life style but Erde's as well, and then my own.  In keeping Leben's spirit high, may aim is to make him think that this new life, where he is being treated like a king, is one that he deserved for being such a good dog.  Erde already thought she deserved the life of a queen so her special treatment comes as no surprise to her.  "It's about time," is what she is probably thinking.

For future postings on Leben's situation, please go to www.LEBENgsd.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment