This blog is about my road-camping trip with my German shepherd dogs, Leben and Erde, from 19 Sept to 13 Oct 2012, which took us 3700 miles from DC to NY (and Beech Mountain), and then onto seven different provincial and national parks circling the Great Lakes. Just before Thunder Bay, Ontario, Leben became paralyzed, so we returned by way of Minnesota and then east to DC.

Day 7, sept 23...charleston lake provincial park, canada, am temp 42

Made it to charleston lake provinvial park in canada after being detained at border for 30 minutes while 5 uniformed and armed agents rummaged through my defender. Most of the time i heard them talking about my rig. Camp site (photo) is great. Rock path in back leads to a 30 foot cliff overlooking lake. Dogs love all the smells. Leben pees 5 times each walk instead of one at home. Last night a racoon invaded my defender, climbing up the tire and up thr waindshield. I got to him before he did any damage. Dogs slept through the saga, but i dragged than outside, shined the flashlight on them with the racoon 10 feet away and that did it, for the night anyway. I will be ready for the bum tonight.

Leben took to his new vehicle quickly. He loves it. Thinks it is a treat machine. I brough it along for emergencies and for long walks i have to take with him, e.g., if we make it to banff.

This camp is virtually empty. No one in sight tonight. Tuesday we leave for brent camp in algonquin park, 40 km down a one lane dirt road. It is isolated and will be empty. Fortunately, racoon is helping me prepare.

Stuff continues to happen on this trip, one thing after another. Rear view mirror fell off when i adjust it on the highway. Fortunately, i brough 5 repaire kits.

I am glad i decided to slow down on this trip and stay several days in camps. It is an entirely different trip than in the past. But tending to the dogs this year is a much bigger chore, but worth it.

Great weather so far, even considering the rain. High so far has been 65. Lows in upper 30s. I use my winter sleeping bag. Dogs sleep on my summer one. Beats their ratty dog beds. Both of them try to get into the tent first to get my air mattress. Rule is that first one two it gets it. I end up sleeping sometimes on their dog beds.

I brought alone flashing red lights for dogs' collars. It's quite a sight at night....pitch black dark, a campfire and two moving flashing red lights. At least in know where they are.

Internet service is non existant in camps so postings will be few and far between.

Ed from lansdowne ontario.

No comments:

Post a Comment