This blog is about my road-camping trip with my German shepherd dogs, Leben and Erde, from 19 Sept to 13 Oct 2012, which took us 3700 miles from DC to NY (and Beech Mountain), and then onto seven different provincial and national parks circling the Great Lakes. Just before Thunder Bay, Ontario, Leben became paralyzed, so we returned by way of Minnesota and then east to DC.

Day 13, sept 29, Champlain provincial park, north bay, ontario

As i sit here in my cold tent, sipping some sutter home 2009 california merlot, listening to wagner's ring of the niebelung on my ipad, my dogs, leben and erde, deep in sleep on my air mattress, but proving hear to the tent, i am reminded of my obligation to my faithful blog followers. So while i have internet in camp, here's my posting du jour..

Today, which started out at 44 degrees with light sprinkles, and then later rain until blue sky appeared at dinner time, was a busy day, very busy. In addition to the usual on-the-road chires, here' what i did.

First, i drove to north bay and checked with two garages there if they could help resolve my pesky headlight problem. They could not today, but maybe monday, and then it might be days before needed parts arrived. So i drove to the local napa store where i bought a new spare headlight and fuses and discussed the electrical diagrams for my defender (see three previous postings) with Tammy, the owners daughter. She was unbelievably helpful. With her help, i was able to figure out only what part was what in the wiring diagram, but that i had the relay switch in my spare parts inventory. Without going into any detail, my pesky headlight problem is now solved.

Second, i also solved the pesky problem of the dogs beating me to my 70's style air mattress, which forced me onto the cold earth each night since i jettisonned my cot to make room for leben's CATT . The solution was a surface de couchage comfortable (air mattress) from walmart that will take up 80 percent of he tent with its 80 inches by 60 inches size. See photo below. It inflates automatically to 9 inches and takes up less space in the defender than the jettisoned cot did and weighs less. I have to figure out how to prevent leben from digging into it as he is ne of those dogs who has to paw at his beds before lying down. Hopefully, it will provide some warmth for him, too, as his 4x/week swimming therapy and frequent spot baths fir his skin infection took away all his skin oils and he feels the cod more than his sister. For this reason, i throw a blanket over him, which is not needed after a while as the warmth from the three if us warm up the tent.

Third, i bought a new camera to replace the casio, which is now useless baggage. It was a great camera, and i guess i should have realized that these things happen. In the future, two cameras will be on my list. I was not about to let this trip go by with only ipad pictures, which are great, but inconvenient to take and there is no zoom, flash, etc.

Fourth, i restocked in north bay instead of waiting to thunder bay as i was down to 6 daily meal boxes,

The list of what i got done today goes on and n, but that's enough to give you an idea of life on the road. Fortunately, in these small cities, towns really, all the stores are together so you can get a lot done in four hours. And without traffic. Most of the work back at the camp keptl me working in the tent, which was rather pleasant with the sound of the rain right above my head.

Although i planned to get on the road to thuder bay by way of kettle lakes, etc., i decided to hang out here one more day and give the dogs a rest, learn how to use the new camera and mattress, clean the defender, take a trip to Kiosk, the other nearby camp i wanted to stay in, read some more about lewis and clark, and other things. If it is not raining, well get on the road monday for two tough days of travel north, 300 miles a day.

Tonight i made a list of the 18 improvements i made for the trip this year. Usually, i made 2 or 3 improvements from year to year. I cannot believe how much of a difference they have made.

It's 2155, time to batton down the tents for the night, play taps, the turn in. I'll try to send another posting tomorrow while i still have internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment